IndianaMap Map Gallery (beta)- download full pdf
IndianaMap Map Gallery is a web application to view thematic maps that we have already made. These maps include a variety of topics and are produced from an assortment of IndianaMap GIS layers.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 9.0 or above
- Mozilla Firefox, version 10.0 or above
- Google Chrome, version 12.0 or above
- Safari, version 5.0 or above
Map Gallery operation
- From the IndianaMAP Viewer or IndianaMap Layer Gallery click on the Map Gallery button on the toolbar to open the URL http://maps.indiana.edu/gallery/
Across the top of the Map Gallery is the tool bar with five controls; Viewer, Layer Gallery, Map Gallery, Search map gallery, and User Guide
- Click View to open the IndianaMAP Viewer
- Click Layer Gallery to open the IndianaMap Layer Gallery
- Click Map Gallery to open the IndianaMap Map Gallery
- Enter a key word then click on the magnifier to search for a map
- Click User Guide to open the this document
Thematic Map Gallery
- There are up to nine thematic map icons displayed per screen
- Hover the mouse cursor over the map icon to display a map tip to read more information about the map
- Below the thematic map icons is a Right, 1, 2, 3, Left button used to scroll through the collection of thematic maps
- The Tweet button allows users to send the Map Gallery URL to their Tweet followers
Open a Thematic Map
- Click on one of the Thematic Map Icons to open a map in the Thematic Map Screen.
Thematic Map Screen
- Below the tool bar is the map title and brief description (if one exists)
- Below the map title is the Search tool
- The map is displayed in the Map layout window
- The Legend and About window includes the list of GIS layers, legend, information about this map and More information
- Search operation – To use the search tool, enter a location, keyword, address, or point of interest. Select an entry from the dropdown list, then hit enter to complete the search.
- Search for a location – Locations such as zip codes, counties, cities, towns, etc. can also be included in the search. For example: Enter “Mexico” to locate this town.
- Search for an address – IndianaMAP includes a geocoding feature to locate addresses. The more information included in the address search, the more likely you are to discover its location. For example, enter “301 S Walnut St, 47401” and a list of search responses will display in the Detail window. Click on the selection of choice to locate this address on the map.
- Search for a point of interest – These are geographic names such as water bodies, state parks, monuments, etc. For example, enter “Monument Circle” as your search term ans a list of search responses will display in the Detail window. Click on the selection of choice to locate it on the map.
Map Layout Window
- Map Layout operation - This window displays the selected thematic map and allows the user to change the basemap, zoom in and out of the map, change to full screen, open and close a map overview display.
Legend and About Window
- Legend and About operation – This window displays the list of layers that can be turned on and off from the check/uncheck box and shows the Legend symbology for each layer. The About button shows a detailed description for the map and provides the users access to ArcGIS.com.